Year Round Surfing
The Popoyo area on the South West Coast of Nicaragua boasts some of the best surf in Central America. Here you can still find a great ride without having to jockey for position amongst dozens of other surfers. The beaches are often deserted and many times you can have a great wave all to yourself.
The effect of nearby Lake Nicaragua has made this area a surfers dream with off shore winds 330 days a year-all day long! There are well known named breaks and numerous unnamed and undiscovered breaks along this 100 miles of sparsely populated coastline.
No matter what the tide is or the swell direction there is always a spot that's working.
Nicaragua properties are arguably the best deals in Central America. Nicaragua is a very attractive place for a second home, vacation home, retirement home for many reasons. For starters it is an inexpensive place to live. Also it is conveniently located and has direct flights from numerous US airports.
Besides the breaks mentioned below there are plenty more great surfing spots all up and down the nearby coastline. Many are obscure and don't even have names. You can take a Panga ( a small boat) with a local surf guide who will take you up and down the coast to these secluded breaks that are difficult or impossible to access by car. You often end up having the whole spot to yourself.
Since you're already on the water, you can always troll to and from the breaks. If you do, nine times out of ten you'll end up with fresh fish for dinner. The fishing in the area can be spectacular. There are wahoo, red snapper, grouper, yellow fin tuna, snook, mackerel, rooster fish close to shore. Outside a little there is sailfish, marlin and swordfish.
Popoyo Area Surf Breaks
- Popoyo - an inside rock slab reef break holds any swell. This is the most consistent break in Nicaragua.
- The Outer Reef at Popoyo is considered by some to be the best wave in Central America.
- Playa Santana - Beach break lots of both right and left hollow barrels. Works best around high tide
- Playa Rosada - A short walk South from Santana left point break. Works best at low tide
- Panga Drops – On Playa Iguana. Rights and lefts deep water reef break, A short walk from the South end of Rancho Santana
- Playa Cololrado – On the South end of Playa Iguana. A frame barreling beach break both lefts and rights.
- Astillero - Fifteen minute drive from Popoyo rights and lefts - River mouth barreling beach break
- Lances Left - Just North of Astillero, Left point break with 200 yard rides - works best on bigger swell
- Manzanillo - Accessible by boat left point reef break with a barrel section
Invest in Paradise
Year-round nice weather, warm water and stunning diverse landscape make Nicaragua a Paradise for those who enjoy the outdoors. There are numerous volcanoes for hiking and canopy rides. There are rainforests, rivers, lakes, lagoons and great fresh and salt water fishing.
Right now for a North American, the best Surf Real Estate investments in the world are right here on Nicaragua’s South West Pacific Coast . Managua, Nicaragua’s capitol is just a 2-1/2 hour flight from Miami and 3 hours from Houston.
One best place in SW Nicaragua is Rancho Santana. Luxury living and nature coexist in perfect harmony in this premier ocean front community. It has over 3 kilometers of coastline spread over 2700 acres of spectacular ocean and mountain views just 2-1/2 hours from Managua.
Click on our Real Estate tab to see some of the some of the properties that are available here. Our inventory changes fast and some of the best deals never make it to the website.
If you are interested in investing in Nicaragua send us your name and email address and we will get back to you with newest listings and best bargains.